Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf Recipe and Some Sweet Potato Fries! YUM!

Ever since Mom and I found Bill Phillips' Body for Life Program back when I was in high school (that's over 10 years ago people) :), we've loved his turkey meatloaf recipe. It's the easiest, healthiest, yummiest meatloaf I've ever had. (And even my grandma, who always used ground beef for her meatloaf, loved this stuff. She even requested that I make it for her after she had her stroke and couldn't cook anymore. I even took some up to her at the nursing home a few times, since according to her, their food was awful.) :) So here is Bill's recipe straight from the Eating for Life cookbook. Whenever I've changed anything, I'll note those changes below!

Enjoy!!

Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf

This photo is from the Eating for Life cookbook. You can also view the recipe at the Transformation website.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey (I just used a pack of extra lean Jennie O ground turkey breast; it's not quite 1 1/2 lbs but it's close enough)
1 onion, chopped (I hate chopping onions, so I buy a frozen bag of pre-chopped ones! It's so much easier!!)
4 egg whites (I use 3)
1 cup salsa (I use around 1 1/2 cups because we like the salsa)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 pkg Knorr Vegetable Soup mix
1/4 tsp black pepper (I don't measure this, I just dump.) :)
1/2 cup ketchup (I don't measure this either. I just make a fat squiggly line on top!)
Garlic powder, to taste (I like to add a little of this, even though the original recipe doesn't call for it.)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, onion, egg whites, salsa, oats, soup mix and black pepper. (Add in you garlic powder in this step too. Also I mix up everything but the turkey first. Then I add the turkey in. It helps me mix it up easier.)

3. Press mixture into a 9" x 5" loaf pan (I like to line my glass dish with foil, and then spray the foil with some olive oil cooking spray. It makes cleaning the dish a lot easier!) and spread ketchup over top. (I squirt mine in a squiggle line, because I think it's prettier.) :) Bake in preheated oven until meatloaf is no longer pink in the center and juice is clear, about 60 minutes. (I like to turn the oven up to 370° when it has about 15 minutes left, because I like mine to get a little brown and crispy on top.)

4. Remove meatloaf from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. (I'm too impatient for this, so I usually yank it out and we eat! haha) You can see in the picture below that it doesn't stick at all with the foil!


And here is the finished product! This was Adam's dinner from Monday night!


--Tasteful Tip from the cookbook--
Meatloaf makes a great "planned-over." Consider making an extra loaf and freezing it. Cool it completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Overwrap it with aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer for up to two months.

I also made Sweet Potato Fries Monday night! I used a recipe I found on Pinterest! It worked out great! Here is the link to it! (Note: I baked it according to the directions, but I used our toaster oven since the meatloaf was in the big oven. After they baked through, and I had turned the fries over, I toasted them for about 5-10 minutes so they got brown and crispy. Adam and I both like them this way. Just an FYI for those of you who like cripsy, slightly brown fries!







post signature


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...